Director of Marketing
- Feb 06, 2023
Shen Milsom & Wilke is seeking a Director of Marketing to join our growing firm. Our award-winning firm has a diverse body of work completed over 36 years, nationally and internationally, comprised of educational, institutional, government, healthcare, corporate, cultural, and retail/residential projects across a range of sizes and scopes. This primary role is to support partners in business development efforts, marketing, PR coordination, strategic oversight of proposals, and internal and external communications.
This immediate opening is for a well-organized, detail-oriented, proactive marketing director with strong time-management skills and commitment to meeting strict deadlines and managing a diverse team of marketing professionals located across the firm. The candidate will work closely with senior management, directors across our 15 offices, business development leadership, and operational/technical staff and manage and collaborate with a dynamic global team.
We seek a person with a strong focus on developing/managing firm-wide market branding, social media platforms, pre-qualifications, marketing collateral, and proposals. The candidate will also be responsible for managing and developing, and updating the firm’s CRM database program. The ideal candidate will have vision, enthusiasm, drive, and initiative, with the ability to see a marketing project through from start to finish and collaborate heavily with the firm’s business development team. Strong writing skills and attention to detail are required. A solid working background with CRM and Social Media platforms is a must.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- The ability to work closely with the firm’s management and business development team to plan and execute firm-wide goals to expand and penetrate markets, manage opportunities and leads, and creation of marketing campaigns.
- Involvement in building business relationships and partnerships and working with Coordinators to ensure leads and opportunities are being tracked in SM&W’s Deltek Vision CRM system.
- Develop a strategy for success and manage this strategy with office/firm managers. Assist others in developing a marketing culture by mentoring across all levels.
- Provide direction and management overseeing business activities to fulfill organizational goals, strategic planning development, and overall decision-making.
- A proactive contributor and flexible thinking leader contributing to enhancing growth and ensuring business profitably.
- Maintain a high profile in professional and community organizations; identify and attend organizational meetings and events to network and build relationships. Represent the firm at the highest level to clients, peer organizations, and business associates.
- Contribute to the evolution of the company’s marketing and business development.
- Self-sufficient with incoming requests for qualifications and proposals, taking responsibility for delivery of timely responses and minimizing input requirements from staff to generate quality responses to RFPs and RFQs.
- Assist in developing and operating/managing corporate events and marketing sessions. Attending T&E Meetings internally, Project coordination calls, ICT, and Internal project coordination calls.
- Manage & supervise marketing staff and collaborate on the development and operation of Marketing budgets. Manage Quarterly Sector Committee’ Meetings’: Education, Civil/Transportation, Healthcare, and Corporate
- Train and mentor junior/new marketing team members to see a path to growth within the firm.
- Monitor marketing budgets and expenditures with office managers.
- Responsible for financial P&L for the Department.
- Staff Management: Hiring/Firing/Development/Employee relations, Performance reviews. Provide leadership, motivation, direction, and training to the team.
- Develop proactive knowledge of firm disciplines, editing, and development of proposals and qualifications based on RFP/RFQ requirements.
- A strong contributor to the evolution and development of company marketing and business development pieces to be included on SM&W’s s intranet, FRED, for company-wide use.
- Manages MBE registration and applications and renewals on a timely basis to eliminate lapses in registration. Manage local, state & regional registrations with authorities related to professional licensure, certifications, etc.
- Review and analyze data to help focus efforts and marketing direction.
- Assist with the development of the marketing plan.
- Have an eye for the creation and use of photography for marketing pieces, project quals, and project description write-ups.
- Participate and develop high-profile and high-value proposal requests. Coordinate multi-discipline proposals and manage discipline lead’s deliverables and due dates.
- Through responding to RFPs/RFQs or Qualifications, develop relationships with architects, end-user clients, and stakeholders to engender new business opportunities.
- Review and renovate current proposal formats and content to reflect our brand.
- Organize and lead proposal meetings and coordinate the staff team to meet proposal deadlines.
- Work with technical staff to develop technical language related to acoustics and technology.
- Maintain excellent quality submissions by using templates and providing a consistent written and visual tone.
- Develop, organize, update, and format marketing collateral (resumes, project pages, project lists, graphics, etc.).
- Manage qualifications/proposal/marketing campaign metrics.
- In collaboration with BD leadership, develop a structure for increased collaboration among BD, Disciplines, and Firm goals.
- Enhance and create ongoing collateral geared toward growing BD and marketing efforts
- Support the development of brochures, newsletters, and presentations.
- Coordinate with public relations associated with local news, events, updates, and social media content.
- Establish a Marketing Playbook & Manual.
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines and accommodate shifting priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Business Administration, English, or related field desired.
- A minimum of 10 years of senior-level marketing experience, preferably with a mid-sized to large firm. within the A/E/C industry
- Accustomed to dealing with senior-level staff.
- Experience responding to both public, private sector, and government RFPs.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and formatting skills with an ability to take complex information and rewrite it in a simplified manner.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office, with particular strength in the latest versions of Word, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Extensive experience with CRM Database management
- SMPS and/or CPSM certifications are preferred.
Opportunities to Grow:
Tremendous opportunities to grow within an organization that is among the most recognized, innovative, and trusted multidisciplinary consulting service firms in the world. We are a firm that values and respects our staff, fosters an environment that encourages learning and growth, and is committed to the success of our employees.
Benefits / Work-life Balance:
At SM&W, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Individual and Dependent Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability
- A generous Paid Time Off Program (PTO)
- Hybrid work schedules
We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future. As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, SM&W offers:
- Training and professional development programs and incentives
- Professional Development Incentive Bonuses
Annual Salary Range:
Dependent on experience and region.
- $110,000 – $160,000
For immediate consideration, please e-mail your resume and salary expectations.
Ref: Mktg Dir